top of page

Travel Consent Letter for 

Children Travelling out of Canada

Travel Consent Letter for Child/Children Traveling With One of the Parents

Often, when just one of the parent ( Father/Mother) would like to travel abroad with their children alone. Canadian authorities require you to have the consent of the other parent to take your own children outside Canada, either for vacation, or other personal trips to your family or friends.

Travel Consent Letter for Child/Children Travelling Alone

In some cases, the child is traveling alone, without any parents, outside Canada, with the consent of both the parents. The traveling child/children should hold a consent letter from the parents to facilitate the boarding and for the immigration authorities. Please remember that sometimes the journey requires a stopover in different countries and the child will have to go through several immigration checkpoints during his journey. A traveling consent letter will help the child, all through his journey.


Travel Consent Letter for Child Traveling With Friends/Extended Family

Even if the child is traveling with your close family friends whom your child is familiar about or with your extended families such as aunt/uncle or grandparents, the ultimate responsibility to give the consent for such travel lies with the parents. 

The Border Officials/Immigration authorities around the world would require you as a parent to give their consent to the family friend or to the grandparents to take responsibility for the child travel outside Canada. Since the child would acknowledge the relationship with the traveling friends/grandparents, it should be easy for the immigration authorities to understand and let them pass but certainly not if they don't have the consent letter. 

Who Should Sign the Consent Letter

It is highly encouraged by the Canadian authorities that the letter be signed by every non-accompanying person or organization with the legal right to make major decisions for the child, including anyone with:

  • custody rights,

  • guardianship rights, or

  • parental authority (in Quebec only)

Most Importantly, Canadian authorities recommend that you have the letter certified by an official who has the authority to administer an oath or solemn declaration (e.g. a commissioner of oaths, notary public or lawyer so that border officials will be less likely to question its authenticity


Contact us further for more information.....


Travel Consent letter, Travel consent for children travelling alone, Travelling with one parent
Children travelling with one parent or with grandparents need Travel Consent Letter.
bottom of page